San Diego: Since latest Joomla 3.0 release, there are a lot of website users who wish for upgrading Joomla to the new 3.x. This is a granular process that needs thorough attention. In most of the cases, Joomla upgrade is deemed to be the migration from one version to another.
One of the major issues with several Joomla! Sites on Joomla 1.5 is the upgrade path from Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 3.x. We have found many customers and potential clients that are resistant to the upgrade as it is pricey, lengthy, tough to do and is not worth their time and investment.
Below is a history of the process, why it is important upgrading from Joomla 1.5, why it is the ideal time to do it now and how simple it actually is to begin the process and migrate to the advanced version of Joomla.
In the initial days of the Joomla 1.6, 1.7 and 2.x releases we saw numerous resistance and problems in regards to improving to the newest version of Joomla. There are certainly tools that came out afterward that aided with the procedure but if you were not a developer or understood what you were doing, it was not a simple process.
For many small businesses, small agencies or bloggers that were managing Joomla 1.5.x websites this meant a vast operating cost considering upgrading the websites so as to retain functionality and security.
Many websites were left on Joomla 1.5 or migrating to one more Content Management System (CMS) that appeared simpler to upgrade to and maintain.
Joomla is not the only CMS that is like this. Drupal is also a CMS that has no obvious migration path from one release to another and actually can earn huge costs considering updates and maintenance from one version to another.
What is the point of boosting and what are the advantages?
The point of upgrading to a diverse version is to take benefit of new features are in the later releases. Improved security, innovative features, enhanced coding standards and much more can be found in the newest release of Joomla making it one of the best releases ever.
Latest features such as:
- Joomla websites search results become applicable and in context with what a user might be seeking with the help of integrates micro data schemas
- Bcrypt password encryption enhances security and makes it very difficult to brute force hack a username and password combination.
- Two factor verification which allows for a secondary physical password that is dynamically produced from a device such as mobile application or Yubikey forces bank and monetary institute level of security.
- Tagging system enables vibrant content discovery and suppler categorization of content in a website.
- Versioning enables roll back and assessment if different content that is saved in the site.
- All Joomla sites have integrated bootstrap framework and are completely mobile ready and 100 responsive from a default installation
- You can produce a complex website with infinite levels of permissions and access
- Multilingual abilities and complete translation means you can tap into other language speaking countries. Interpreting your website into the top speaking languages will reach the maximum population and it can be effortlessly done with Joomla.
These are a few of the aspects and abilities of Joomla and if your business wants to benefit from these opportunities then Joomla is the ideal CMS solution and just the right reason to upgrade.
The other major reason is for security itself. Ensuring that your Joomla website is on the current versions will guarantee that your site is protected from security exploits and hackers.
Ideal Time to Upgrade
Why is it just the right time to Boost to Joomla 3.x now?
Over the past few years, Joomla project has matured in the code, CMS and also the community of designers and developers.
The Upgrading Tools
The tools that are employed to improve a Joomla 1.5 site to Joomla 3.x are very well utilized and backed by the developers who make them and the community that make use of them.
Tools such as JUpgradePro, SPUpgrade, Migrate Me Plus, Ji Migrator, and redMigrator are all well backed and documented migration extensions that make the procedure from Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 3 easier. Set up the needed components; click a few buttons on the Joomla 1.5 and the Joomla 3 versions of your website and the data, content and user tables will be migrated over for you!
Prominent preference in upgrade tools at the instant is JUpgradePro followed by Ji Migrator. These are the two simplest migration tools to use.
Stable Release of Joomla 3.x
Joomla 3.3.1, which is the stable release of Joomla is one of the most tested versions of the CMS ever. Many people were expecting version 3.5, which is seen as a long term support and stable version but that now has altered. The versioning of Joomla is more semantic and structured with no fixed numbers being a stable release.
How to Start Upgrading
Pick Your Tool
Begin by examining the migration tools with JUpgradePro as a start.
Begin the Data Migration
It is free and very well documented considering the process of improving a website
- Download the JUpgrade extension
- Install on to your Joomla 1.5 and novel Joomla 3.x website
- Decide the parts that you want to migrate.
In case your site has more extensions such as Flexicontent, K2, Kunena etc, these are paid added plugins that you can set up to maintain the procedure and make it as simple to improve your website with a few clicks.
Migrate the Template or Set Up a New Look and Feel
Once every data and information is upgraded, you will have to consider the template of the website. Generally the template from Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 2.5 and Joomla 3 will vary a little. This is the ideal chance to consider a redesign of the website and also to consider a mobile and responsive template to give your patrons the finest mobile experience.
Test, Test and Test
Now that you have migrated all of the data and have a fresh look to the website, it is time to check the site.
There are only some things that are vital and you must examine so as to get the things right.
- Test the navigation: As they all have been restructured, you will feel like ensuring that all of the links in the menus across the website are working fine right.
- Functionality test: Ensure all the website functions are working from sign ups, front end logins and search forms.
- Search engine results: This is vital! The search-friendly URLs from a Joomla 1.5 to any other version of Joomla have altered and it is significant to set up 301 redirect on your website. It makes sure that all of the URLs that Google has indexed are all going to the correct places and where they should. If you don’t do so, your website may not appear in Google after you upgrade.
Contact Fortune Innovations San Diego to assist you with the migration process of your Joomla 1.5 website to the newest version of Joomla.